Tuesday, September 02, 2008

First Day of School

Well, it happened. The end of summer vacation is officially here and two of my three children are in school. All day. Yes, even our 5 year old is enrolled in full-day kindergarten around here. We had a pretty smooth morning, had everyone ready to go, posed for a few pictures, and then we were off to school. We were all very excited to see our old friend, Fred, the crossing guard and were even more pleased to see he was wearing our #1 Crossing Guard award we gave him at the end of the school year last year.

It was such an exciting morning getting to school and finding the right lines to go in and saying good-bye. We finally found Kelsie's teacher through the maze of parents and kids, and she was excited to see some old friends again. She was also very brave, since she's an upper classman now, when I left her waiting in line with her class to watch her brother start his new career as a student for the first time. Brandon, who has had a healthy mix of emotions, good and bad, about starting kindergarten, had a hard time keeping his cool. When it was time to go, a teary eyed Brandon looked up one last time and gave us a big smile. He then walked into the school, crying. What a brave little guy. I'm thinking he's either going to be happy or crying when he gets out at the end of the day. Stay posted. I'll let you know.

Caleb and I walked home and he shouted "see you later" to just about anyone and anything we passed. I have realized how much of an adjustment it is going to be for us at home as it is for those at school. The house is QUIET. Everything seems to be at a stand still, except it's not. I am sitting here blogging in the middle of the day because I have some "me" time again. I think I'm starting to like it.

No, I am loving it! (Is that bad?!)


Three cheers to back to school!


***Edited to add:

Brandon came out of school with a huge smile on his face and said, "School Rocks!". I think we've got some success on our hands!

8 comments:

Jennica said...

4 Cheers, I love school! It is so nice to be with one. I agree with all your enthusiasm now. Carter & I are loving the new routine and enjoying the same quietness. So Yay for you lady!

What projects are you scheming up now?

Jaime said...

Yay for school!! Brandon- awesome shirt!! Kelsie, you look so cute! And R- congrats, you deserve this! Hope tomorrow goes great!

Heather said...

What a sweet story about Brandon. I'm glad it went well for the kids today, and for you too. A little time away is good for everyone!

Kenna said...

yay for school!! I'm glad everything went so smooth. And enjoy your 'me' time! You deserve it!

Kacie said...

I'm glad they liked school! Kaden loved Brandon's shirt! How nice you get some 'me' time again!

Whitney said...

Yay for school! I'm so glad Brandon liked his first day - and that you got some much needed "me" time!

Beckie said...

HOORAY for you time!!!!
And I love that he loves school : )

Krazy Khania said...

No it's not bad to love having a quite house and me time!! I'm right with you sister!!