Friday, January 16, 2009

Frozen Tundra


The air temperature at 8:15 this morning when we left for school was -16 degrees. After factoring in the wind chill, it was a balmy -35 degrees. My nose hairs froze before we got to the alley next to our house. The last time that happened to me was over ten years ago when I lived in Rexburg. I told myself then that I would never live in that kind of weather ever again. Hmmm.

I really wanted to keep the kids home from school today. I had absolutely no desire to brave the elements. Not even to come home and tell anyone who happens to call me how tough I am because even though we are experiencing sub-zero temperatures outside, we still walked to school. Nope. I didn't want to go there. But, because school was not cancelled (or even delayed for that matter) we had no choice. Kelsie had a class breakfast to go to, so we trudged through the snow and biting wind, cut up orange slices and all.

And, for all of you who are wondering if Wally is crazy enough to bike in these harsh conditions, the answer is yes. While I'm at home worrying that he's going to walk in looking like a blue popsicle, he's out jumping off the snowplow created hills onto the streets. You can call him crazy (lots of people did while he was on his way to work), but that just adds fuel to the fire.

It wasn't until the pipes froze last night before we went to bed that we felt we had a direct hit. It's cold. Very cold. Relief is in sight this weekend when we are supposed to get up to 20 degrees above zero by tomorrow afternoon. It's going to feel like a nice warm day after what we've just been through.

I guess we will be able to wear a badge now. The one that says I made it through the coldest Chicago winter in a decade!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the Wally visual!

Jaime said...

Too bad someone didn't take video of Wally in action- that would have been fun to see.
Congrats on making it through- hope you have warmer days here on out!
Cute picture of Caleb- he doesn't seem to mind the cold so much!

Kacie said...

I like the picture of Caleb! I'm glad it's going to get a little warmer! Hopefully spring will come early this year! :)

Whitney said...

Cute picture of Caleb. I still can't believe Wally rides his bike in that cold. He's got ambition - that's for sure :) I'm proud of you for making it through. You deserve the badge!

Unknown said...

Benji will be jealous! He loves biking in extreme weather. Best wishes for warmer weather on the way.

Mom and Dad said...

We're cold just thinking of what you've been going through! To bad you don't have some video of Wally! Nothings seems to bother him! Caleb is so cute! Think warm thoughts!!!

Kenna said...

I would really like to take the opportunity to remind you that I told you NOT to move to Chicago. I'm glad it's you and not me!
That being said, I hope you stay warm!

kristine N said...

Wow, you Chigacoans must be tougher than us Indianans. School was canceled Thursday and Friday for us (though not the university--I still had to show up and teach.)

Anonymous said...

Why don't you want to move back to Idaho?

Shayne said...

Wally- you're crazy! But I love that about you! And Ronni- you are becoming quite the photographer! I'm so proud of you!! That pic of Caleb looks amazing! And one more thing... I'm sorry about the weather! Mine is way cold too, but I don't know if it's that cold!!!