Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Our Backyard Campout

IMG_4379fixed_web

Last night, we slept outside in the tent in the backyard.  All of us.  Usually when the kids want to do this, I let their dad be the fun one and am just fine sleeping in my own bed.  But I caved in and slept out under the stars (or at least airplanes).  This was our practice run for when we go camping this weekend up in Wisconsin.  We usually go camping at least once a year, but with Caleb being the ripe old age of 2 1/2, we decided that it might be a good idea to see what we’re getting ourselves into.

Caleb and I laid in the tent looking out the window at the fireflies (while Kelsie and Brandon tried to catch them) until he fell asleep.  It was so peaceful to just lay there and enjoy our backyard.  The fireflies are always something we look forward too each year and always try to catch as  many as we can.  Eventually the older two joined us in the tent and while Brandon held the flashlight, Kelsie read us a story. 

We all slept pretty good (at least as good as you can in a tent) and woke up to a little surprise.  Remember our friendly neighborhood cat?  Well, he was all curled up in a ball at the end of Brandon’s sleeping bag, snoozing with the rest of us.  Apparently we didn’t close the tent door all the way and he found his way in.  I’m just glad it wasn’t a racoon or a skunk.

So, the moral of my story is:

1)  If you’ve never camped out in the backyard, you must try it at least once.

2)  Remember to close your tent door all the way unless you want some unwelcome visitors to spend the night with you.

6 comments:

Kacie said...

Fun! You'll have to let me know how your camping trip turns out! I bet the fireflies are so pretty! Yikes, I would not want any animal sneaking into my tent! I'm glad it was just the neighborhood cat!

Shayne said...

Sounds like it was a success! Good luck! :)

Unknown said...

You're a brave girl! It's too close to my comfy bed for me :) I'm jealous about the fireflies :)

Jaime said...

Hahaha, I can just imagine waking up and finding a little visitor!- That cat was probably so happy! What a fun night!- Hopefully camping will go just as smoothly. (Minus the critters!)

kristine N said...

Hmm, friendly cat. Hope you have fun camping. We've taken Sylvia out a couple of times (she'll be one next month) and found she did pretty well, though I suspect the more mobile she becomes, the harder it's going to be to keep her happy inside the tent.

Whitney said...

What a fun thing to do! I can only imagine how much fun you guys had! We've been wanting to do a campout in our backyard too - if we do we'll remember to keep the tent zipped:) Have fun on your camping trip!