Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Apple Pickin'

It has been a long standing tradition in our family to go apple picking in the fall (well, at least 7 years worth of a tradition). It is such a great way to welcome the new season and transition to the cooler weather and all the fun that comes with it! I spent the last few weeks trying to figure out where we could go, since there aren't any farms within an hour of where we live. I finally found a farm that looked promising and since Wally didn't have to work on Saturday, we took full advantage and made a day out of it! I tried to get the kids excited for the big day, but all they seemed to remember was the sticker bushes and weeds at the orchard we went to last year in Washington. After a lot of coaxing and promising that this time was going to be different, they reluctantly agreed.

After a little over an hour's drive, we made it to Prairie Sky Orchard and were very pleased with what we found. It was a cute little farm complete with pumpkins and fall raspberries that needed to be picked. The apple orchard had dwarf-size trees which meant that even the smallest of our group could be put to work. We had such a great time together gathering our 40+ pounds of apples with hardly a complaint from the older kids (that is if you don't count the fighting about who got to pull the wagon). When we decided we had enough apples, we wandered over to the raspberry bushes and started picking. They were so yummy and I'm sure that we ate more than we picked! Caleb had nothing to do with picking for our collection, he would just pick and eat as many raspberries as he could with a very determined look on his face to get as much as possible!

After our fill of raspberries, we made our way over to the pumpkin patch and found the most "perfect" pumpkins for our fall decor. There was a cute little basin full of water to wash off the pumpkins and was a huge hit with our kids. So, with our pumpkins, raspberries, and apples in the wagon, we made our way to check-out. This has been, by far, one of the most enjoyable apple picking days yet!

We love picking apples!

Hard at work.

Don't bother me, I'm eating.

Our official raspberry holder.

More, I just need more!

Raspberries are so fun to pick!

There's nothing like a good bath, even for a pumpkin.

9 comments:

Sarah S said...

That place looks wonderful!! Maybe we'll take Ben's parents there next week. Apples AND rasberries sound delicious! (not to mention more apple cider donuts - yum...)

We've missed you at playgroup! I fully expect you to come one of these days with Caleb - Eli needs a little buddy his age to run around with! :)

kell-bell said...

Fall raspberries?? Sounds delicious, we'll have to check it out!

Kacie said...

What a fun outing! I love all the pictures! It looked like a lot of fun! Caleb looks more like a toddler to me now! He is soooo cute! Kelsie and Brandon are too cute as well! I'm glad you posted a lot of pictures this time! :)

Jaime said...

Yay for apple picking- and berries, yum!! Such cute pics!

Mom and Dad said...

What a fun family activity! The photos are so cute!

Kenna said...

Oh, I LOVE this time of year! I've been trying to find an apple pickin' place here to go to, but no such luck so far! The pictures are super cute!

Jennica said...

Fun! How did you find this place? Where did you go last year, so I know not to go there! I would love to take the boys and go. Let me know.

Cute pics too, Can't believe how big that Caleb is getting!

kelby said...

How fun! I never thought about apple picking pictures. What a fun idea! Maybe we'll have to incorporate that into our fall traditions next year! Your kids are darling!

Unknown said...

I picked apples with my kids this week too! I found a great frozen apple pie filling recipe. Let me know if you want it and I will send you the link.