This past Memorial Day just happened to be my Grandfather’s 89th birthday. A few months ago, our family was planning a big surprise party for him. Our plans were put on hold, however, after he was hit by a car eight weeks ago. From the outside, his body is healing. The inside is a whole different story. These last few weeks he has gone through some pretty rough patches sprinkled with a few good times. We decided to go ahead and celebrate his birthday, even if it meant we were going to all cram all of us into his small hospital room to sing to him. And there are a lot of us.
I flew out the Saturday before Memorial Day. It was a long flight and after having to switch planes due to some electrical problems, I finally made it a little over an hour later than planned. I was able to see most of my sisters and their families who came for the special occasion, and my parents. It was so good to see everyone, especially since I don’t get to see them very often.
When I went in to see my grandpa for the first time, it was hard. Before his accident, he was totally independent and healthy. I have never seen him like this before. I brought in pictures that my family drew for him and told him that I loved him. He was pretty nonresponsive that first day. I did get a little smile and a small squeeze while I was holding his hand to let me know that he heard me and knew who I was.
My sisters and I came in to decorate his hospital room with a birthday banner and flag (he is a veteran who fought in WWII) the morning of Memorial Day. He was in another room having some treatment done, so we each took our turn to wish him a happy birthday and told him we would be back later in the day.
We all (19 of us, I think) came back, as promised later that afternoon and sang Happy Birthday. He was so happy we were all there and was the most responsive he had been in a while. He opened his eyes and gave us some priceless smiles. He was even able to mutter an “I love you” to all of us before drifting off to sleep again.
I don’t think I am going to see my grandpa again in this life, but I do know that I will see him again in the next life. Families have a very powerful impact in our lives. Living far away from both of our families has helped us to understand and appreciate this better. As unfortunate as this was for my grandpa, it has given me hope and faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ and His Plan of Salvation.
In honor of him, we’re going to head out to the golf course (one his favorite things to do). It’ll have to be miniature golf for us though, since we can’t hit the ball near the hole no matter how hard we try!
I love you, Grandpa.

7 comments:
Beautiful. What a blessing he has been to all of us.
That was so sweet. I love him so much!
Thank you, Ronni. We will all definitely miss him. I absolutely LOVE the pictures. Priceless.
Wow. What a great tribute and beautiful pictures. Is this your mom's or dad's dad?
That was so sweet! I love the last picture and the one of Dad holding his hand! I sure love Grandpa too!
The first picture of your grandfather is just beautiful. It's great that you were able to be with him to celebrate his birthday.
You are amazing. That was very sweet. I wish I could have been there with everyone. Thanks for the pictures. It's good to see him this way. . .Smiling! Love you!
Post a Comment