It’s official. The last day of school has come and gone—the whole 1 hour of it. Summer has begun. Since both Kelsie and Brandon did so well and actually graduated to the next grade level this year, I wanted to start the summer off right.
I am a strong believer in long, lazy, summer days—after jobs are done, of course. Summertime is a magical time for kids to be outside, explore, get dirty, be creative, and have lots of fun. I’ve found that with lots of other distractions (t.v., video games, computer games, etc.) I sometimes feel like I am pushing, almost bribing them (I’ll let you have another popsicle) to play outside.
So, on the last day of school, just when the asking about said computer games started, I presented them with their very own
SUMMER SURVIVAL KITS
The kits included all the summer essentials:
- shove and pail, beach towel, and goggles (for when we go to the beach)
- a flashlight for those late nights playing in the backyard and for when we go camping
- sidewalk chalk, mini clipboard, and a florescent pad of paper for any inspiration that may come to their minds
- first-aid kits complete with antibacterial cream and colorful band-aids for all the scrapes and falls they’ll get
- The Dangerous Book for Boys and The Daring Book for Girls
- bubbles, because you always have to have bubbles
- walkie-talkies because they’re just fun
- bug kits for catching and examining those little tiny creatures
- sparklers and poppers for the 4th of July (which have been saved for that day—don’t worry!)
And finally, homemade cards from Wally and I telling them how proud we are of all their accomplishments this year. We really are going to have a great summer and while there is time for the t.v. and video games, I was just really happy that they spent the majority of the afternoon talking in code through the walkie-talkies and looking for bugs.
Yes, my friends. Summer has begun.

10 comments:
I LOVE YOUR FAMILY!!! Oh my gosh! You've done it again!! This is what I've been telling you about... you guys are amazing! You need to be in Family Fun!
You are so creative! I bet they love their Summer Survival Kits! That's cute you made one for Caleb too! You're a good mom!
What a great idea...I love it! Thanks for sharing!
LOVE IT! Such a great idea! How fun for the kids!
Seriously, summer is so awesome!!
once again, you inspire us all!
AWESOME! What a great idea!
Such a great idea! Thank you for sharing! I find that my kids start out being outside 24/7, then the "I'm bored" starts in at the end of June :) This is such a great idea!
Ditto to all of the above.....I hope to see pix of all their treasures in action this summer.
It's going to be a fun summer! You've got it right! It should be spent outside exploring and imagining! Wish I was there with you!
Post a Comment