Monday, January 04, 2010

Two Years

Today marks our 2 year anniversary of living in the Chicago area.  A lot has changed for our family in the last couple of years and we have learned a lot as well:

  • This is one of the coldest places we’ve ever lived.
  • The Spring and Summer make you forget about the long cold winters.
  • Frozen pipes are not fun.
  • There is a lot of culture and diversity here.
  • There are lots of fun things to do.
  • We could live at the beach in the summer.
  • Long underwear is a necessity when walking kids to/from school.
  • Riding the train is lots of fun until it gets really crowded.
  • The treasure hunt downtown is lots of fun for kids.
  • A working A/C unit in the car is not as important as a working heater.
  • It really is beautiful here.
  • The schools here are wonderful!
  • We have met so many nice and friendly people.

We really have had a great experience living here with all its ups and downs.  At one point in the last couple of years I didn’t think that I would have any good memories of living here, but I don’t think that anymore.  We’re excited for the next few months ahead of us and the changes to come in our family and where we may possibly end up. 

I think one of the most important things that we’ve learned is that change is really hard for everyone.  It’s hard to uproot and move somewhere new and start all over again, but it can be done.  And it can be done with positive results.  The kind of results that you work hard to get and end up being huge blessings in the end.  Life is an adventure and the experiences you gain are priceless.  Enjoy the journey!

Here’s to the start of year 3!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a great post. Sometimes I'm afraid to jump in and change, but you guys are always good examples to me :) And your kids are well adjusted to boot! They are so fabulous! You do a great job :)

Kenna said...

I'm glad you can find some positive aspects of the frozen hell you're living in!! :) I hope you get a job somewhere warm. Then I'll be more excited to come visit you guys! Here's to year 3! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Don't the winters make you feel like you've been there longer than two years? I can't wait to hear what happens next!! We need more mormons here in the south. Y'all come on down!

Whitney said...

Wow! Year 3?! I'm glad you've survived this long! It sounds like such a great place - besides the winters of course:) I'm glad you've been able to find lots of positive aspects about living there. It definitely can have an effect on your whole experience. Hopefully you'll be able to move somewhere where the winters aren't so harsh! Good luck with year 3!

Jaime said...

Looks like other than the winters you love the place- and I can see why after visiting! Just remember all the great things while you're surviving one more winter, and please please please move closer!

Jennica said...

So true, it's all about the attitude....plus all the creative fun you and Wally come up with. So what are your options for the future, where are you guys looking at? I still have my fingers crossed that Washington's a possibility!

Sarah S said...

yes, the winters stink. but really, there is so much more to chicago than its weather :) i'm glad you've seen that and are embracing this place, despite the chill from november through april.

i was sad i didn't get to talk to you much at playgroup today. we really need to plan a playdate soon!!

Kacie said...

I'm glad you survived the first 2 years! Good luck with the third! I'm glad we were able to come see you twice! What a great time we had!

Mom and Dad said...

It's always good to be positive! You do live in a beautiful place, but we hope you move a bit closer and warmer!

Shayne said...

I love Chicago! I'm so glad we had Sisters Weekend there this past year! I still can't get over how beautiful it is!! But then again I've never been there in the winter... good luck and hang in there! You should come visit me! ;)