For those of you who don’t know, I am 29 weeks pregnant. For me, that means for the next 11 (hopefully less) weeks, I am a diabetic. I have what they call Gestational Diabetes. I have had this condition with all of my pregnancies and to make things more interesting, none of my babies have been born in the same state, let alone by the same doctor. It makes getting consistent treatment hard to come by and so each of my pregnancies have been different.
I was able to control my blood sugar by diet alone with my first. Giving myself insulin shots became the routine during #2. I started out using insulin with #3, but then was changed to a pill to help kick-start my pancreas’ insulin production by the end of the pregnancy. Each of the pregnancies have been long and hard and to have this extra thing to deal with doesn’t make it very fun or any easier.
With this pregnancy, I failed, passed, then failed again the glucose test and am now officially diabetic once again. I went to my new endocrinologist last week and was instructed to test my blood sugar yet again. Less than a week later, I was back in his office getting trained on how to use the insulin pen that is going to be my new best friend for the remaining weeks.
Pregnancy is hard. I don’t talk about it very much because I feel like I don’t have a lot of good things to say about it. People deal with diabetes all the time, but each time I am diagnosed, it starts to feel all new again and can be overwhelming. I am really hoping this treatment will work and that I won’t have any more surprises coming my way.
Rest assured that we are very excited to add another member to our family and that I am a much happier person when this is all over. And, in case you were wondering, we don’t know what we’re having. It’s a fun surprise at the end for us! I also don’t know my exact due date because, frankly, it plays with my mind. I have an idea of when it is, but I don’t even like to think about it! I realize that I’m weird that way and most women can’t wait to know those things, but I guess I have a lot of other things on my mind!
The kids are all very excited to have another baby in the house. If you ask Caleb, our baby is going to have green eyes and green hair. Brandon wants another brother, just so Kelsie will have one more. Kelsie keeps telling me that she really wants to have a sister, but it’s probably a boy. She must be preparing herself for any disappointment if we really are having another boy! We love each of our kids and are excited to add another one to the mix. It keeps life interesting around here!

9 comments:
I'm totally fascinated with the pen. If I lived closer, I'd even give you your shot with the pen. (You'd trust me, right?) Listen, my hat is off to you because I am so afraid of needles for myself, I almost pass out every time I get a shot. Hang in there and I will send you a big batch of Dove chocolate for when this is all over. Of course then you'll be nursing, so you can't really eat it then either... Sometimes it seems like moms can't ever catch a break.
I'm only 15 weeks and I'm already sick of it :( Did you know that my sister Kate is expecting too? She's like 26-27 weeks? And she has gestational diabetes too-- it's no fun. I feel so bad eating yummy treats in front of her, because she's like you, she'd rather control it with good diet as best she can.
You have every right to complain!
That's so hard! I'm so sorry!! I couldn't even imagine that!
Complain away! I don't know what it's like, and I don't really want to know. So, you can complain your little heart out, and I'll be very sympathetic! It must not be comfortable to have an alien living off of you, and growing inside of your body. And to have diabetes on top of it can't be fun. But when he/she comes out with green eyes and green hair, you'll know the diabetes had something to do with it! (either that, or it really IS and alien!)
Pregnancy is so hard! You have every right to complain! I was so upset when I thought I might have it (as you well know), I can't even think of what it's like for you! You can call me everyday to complain about if you like! You deserve it! :) It will be so exciting to find out what you have! I can't wait! :)
Ouch! We feel so bad for you! Don't know if we would survive what you have to do each day. Just keep your eyes focused on the end result! Call if you need to complain to someone. We are always willing to listen!
Congratulations! I hope the rest of the pregnancy is as uncomplicated as possible--I can imagine dealing with needles and blood sugar on top of all the other discomforts of pregnancy is no fun. But that's still exciting.
So, why can't you eat chocolate when nursing?
Ugh, hang in there. It will be totally worth it and hopefully over before you know it. Thinking about you!
Good luck! I hope your remaining weeks fly by.
Post a Comment