Wednesday, January 26, 2011

God Be With You Till We Meet Again

We just got back from St. George, UT.  My Grandpa Scott quietly passed away last week and returned home to his sweetheart who passed away 5 years ago.  Grandpa was my last living grandparent and we felt so fortunate to be able to go.  We missed all of the other grandparent funerals on both sides of our family, so this was a big deal to us.

My Grandpa was a great man.  He was smart, funny, patient, and wonderful.  He was an electrical engineer and his mind was always working.  Once Wally became a part of the family, there was a special bond between the two of them.  Grandpa finally had someone to talk science to and Wally had someone who understood his jargon.  We joke a lot about how I was replaced by Wally as the official grandchild. 

When we moved to the east, back to the west, and then to the midwest, Grandpa always told us that we needed stay west of Denver.  We made it, just in time.  We didn't get to spend a lot of time with Grandpa before he died.  The last time we saw him was about 4 1/2 years ago, when we moved from Pennsylvania to Washington.  My two youngest children never met him.

It was so great to listen to my aunt and uncle talk about his life and all the funny stories about him.  Senator Orrin Hatch (my great-uncle) was also able to attend and said some very nice things as well.  Grandpa wanted me to play the organ at his funeral, and all the great-grandchildren sang I Am a Child of God.  The services were great.

I am going to miss my Grandpa.  We always loved to visit him when we could.  I know that he is so happy right now, reunited with my Grandma.  I'm so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and know that we will see him again some day.










No good-bye's from us.

Only see you later's.







9 comments:

Sarah S said...

I'm sorry about your grandpa's passing, but so glad you could make it to his funeral. Your comment about Wally replacing you as the favorite grandchild made me smile, because that's what I always said about Ben and my grandpa. They were the same way - happy to talk science and chemistry together.

Beautiful pictures from the funeral too!

Jaime said...

You did such a beautiful job capturing pictures of that special day. And I agree, it's just a see you later (and I can't wait!)

Whitney said...

Love your pictures! It was a special weekend honoring a special man. It was great seeing you!

Dan said...

It is nice that you were able to come to my hometown for such a special occasion. As someone who was able to make it to only one grandparent's funeral for similar reasons, I understand the significance of the experience. I hope that everyone is well and enjoying the new digs in New Mexico.

Unknown said...

Sending you my love!

Kacie said...

Wow, you took some really great pictures! It was nice seeing you and everyone else! It was a nice funeral! I love Grandpa!

Shayne said...

Thanks for posting some pictures (which are incredible, by the way)! I'm so sad that I wasn't able to be there! :( It looks like it was so nice! I think mom will treasure the pictures you took! ... ps I'm so proud of you and your photography!!! Amazing!

kristine N said...

My condolences. I'm glad you were able to make it to your Grandpa's funeral and share in the remembering of him.

And I agree, the pictures are beautiful!

the momma said...

Ronnie, I am so sorry to hear of your grandpa's passing. I know it must have been wonderful to be able to attend and support your mom. The pictures really captured the moment. Still miss you!!! - Lori