Whew! What a week we've had here! We got hit with some interesting weather. The kind of weather I would have expected if we were still living in Chicago, but for the desert? I think the whole state was caught off guard too when an arctic blast came over the area. As a result, we had our first snow days ever for the Paxtonians. I never really thought this would happen in the desert, I mean, it's supposed to be warmer here, right? It also doesn't help that we just moved from Chicago where in the whole 3 years that we lived there, school was not canceled once. We would walk to school in single digit weather, and even below single digit weather. I wore that like a badge on my chest for 3 years. To be honest, we're a little sad about missing the record breaking storm that hit Chicago.
We had a storm this week that brought more snow and cold than I ever imagined here and school was canceled for 4 days. The first day I wasn't prepared for it, I was really hoping it was just going to be a delay. Wally drove the car to work since biking wasn't an option so I was home all day with all the kids. Which isn't that abnormal or anything, but usually by the time Saturday comes around, I'm ready for it! We managed to make it through the day unharmed and without too many incidentals between the kids. They even went sledding together with a new friend in the neighborhood and had a great time.
When they canceled school again the next day, I was a little more prepared. We declared it a pajama day and played games, made homemade cookies (which if you know me, that's a huge thing!), made some Valentine's, had a few Lego battles and just had fun together. By day three and four, it was starting to get old. We tried to make the most of it though and still had fun together. Wally even ended up home from work because we were put on a natural gas ration all over the city so thermostats were turned waaaaaaay down and it was cold. It's a sad, sad thing to not have heat keeping you warm when it's only a few degrees above zero outside. We did our part at home and turned off our heat during the day (thank goodness for lots of windows and the sun!) and turned it down to 55* through the night. I'm not going to lie, it was a cold night with temperatures dropping below zero outside. The hardest part was keeping little Isaac warm throughout the night. Every time I would check on him, his hands were freezing! He ended up in bed between us to stay warm. Because of the extreme cold around here, pipes all over the city were freezing and bursting, including one in Wally's building at work and also at our church.
It turns out that having a snow day (or four) isn't so bad after all. I just hope it doesn't become a regular thing around here. Brandon, especially, is getting a little too comfortable with the whole idea of a snow day. He may be a little disappointed when Monday rolls around and things have (hopefully) gotten back to normal!






8 comments:
what a fluke thing!! I'm sorry you had such crazy weather there for being in the desert. and funny that there were four days off from school!!
I can't believe the gas shortage though - 55 degrees at night sounds absolutely freezing. I'm a wimp and our thermostat is usually just down to 66 at night. you guys are tough!!
The Thanksgiving after Derrick and I got married we were in an accident in New Mexico thanks to a snow storm. This one looks quite a bit worse than the one we hit, and definitely lasted longer! I hope the damage to the pipes isn't too bad, and that things warm up soon!
I know, I may be crazy, but record breaking storms always sound fun to me :)
That's crazy! That's too funny that you had your first snow days there and not in Chicago. :) You are such a great Mom! I love all of the pictures too, especially the first one of the kids! They are all wayyyy too cute!
Wow! Did you guys bring the cold/freezing weather to Albuquerque with you? Wow. I'm glad you all survived! Great pictures!
Nice. Snow in the desert is a big thing. We got 8 inches one night here, and school was canceled the next day! Despite how much I hate the white stuff, it is pretty in the desert, isn't it?? (for about a day. Then I'm all for it melting as quickly as possible!)
Crazy!!! I would never guess you were in the desert by looking at these pics! Glad you made it through snow week- here's hoping for school days!
Well, I guess the Chicago Gods didn't want you to forget where you earned your badges. But, you are tough and I know that you made it fun for the kids. Glad it is warmer now. Can't wait to hear what you have to say when August hits. Drier is better, is all I have to say. Kisses to all. - Lori
Post a Comment