Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pobrecito



You'd never know it with his cute little smile up there, but this poor little guy ended up in the doctor's office today with a diagnosis of a dislocated elbow.  Sunday night was a beautiful night with perfect weather. We decided to take advantage of it and head outside and enjoy it. Caleb learned how to ride a two-wheeler last fall while we were still living in Illinois. Once we got his bike out again after we moved, he learned all too quickly about hills and wheels. Just as quickly, he decided he didn't like riding his bike anymore. In an effort to help him not be afraid, we decided to put the training wheels back on his bike. He was doing pretty well until he got going too fast and lost control and ended up on the pavement.

The doctor tried to pop it back in today, without much success, but with more than just a few tears.  We had a few x-rays done which concluded that there was no fracture. We left the office in a sling and with a charge to watch it and call in a couple of days if it doesn't get any better. About an hour later, I got a phone call from the doctor telling me that the official report came back from the radiologist and there is some fluid around his elbow that they are worried about.  Tomorrow we head to the orthopedic office to find out what exactly is going on. Until then, we've got a little boy who thinks his sling is magical and is making his arm feel all better.

p.s. This kid has the craziest cowlik right in the front of his forehead.  I can't figure out how to cut it without it looking like he cut it himself.  Our most recent remedy is to comb it back and give him "spikes". He thinks it is so cool. Any tips on how to cut it would be very helpful at this point!

8 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

Poor Caleb! Give him a hug for us!

Kenna said...

I think it makes him look tough. And cool. Hopefully the fluid issue isn't too bad. Good luck with his hair! I think it's quite awesome!

Unknown said...

Well, he sure looks chipper, anyway!

I LOVE the wild hair... go with it :)

Krista said...

ow!!! poor guy. I love his hair and I hope the "magical sling" works it magic.

Jaime said...

Yikes! We hope you're feeling better soon! Cool spikes!

kristine N said...

Poor kid! I hope he heals quickly and gets back up on his bike soon.

My brother had long hair for a long time precisely because his hair would do funky stuff like that when he cut it too short. Actually, so does my husband's, which is why his is also a bit longish most of the time. That and apathy.

Shayne said...

Poor Caleb!! That would hurt so bad! He sure has the cutest smile around! And look - you found a green plant for him to sit in front of. :) There must be some green out there... I'm glad you found it!

Sarah S said...

Caleb is so cute, wild hair and all. I hope his elbow is better soon. I'm just so impressed he could ride a two wheeler LAST fall!! He's awesome. We just got Eli a bike for his bday and he biffed it on the first ride (training wheels and all). So sad.