I don't usually write about news articles and such on this blog, since it is primarily about our family. I came across this article about the Baby Einstein videos and found it to be very interesting, (or maybe it's my health education background coming out in me).In a study from a research group at the University of Washington in Seattle, they found that babies (8-16 months of age) who watch an hour or more of the Baby Einstein videos a day, tested below the normal range on a language-assessment test. "They said it's possible heavy watching of the videos hurt children's language development but also proposed other possibilities — that some parents of children with poor language skills expose them to more videos or that some parents leave their children watching the videos by themselves."
In defense of her videos, Julie Aigner-Clark, founder of the Baby Einstein Video's, said they were never designed to make babies smarter.
"I believe we've done what we've always set out to do — expose kids to great things. And when used the right way, by interacting with a parent or a guardian, they're positive ways to engage your child." (You can read more of her interview HERE.)
Hmmmm. So, I guess what they are saying is that if you stick your kid in front of the TV to watch a video that is supposed to expose them to great things, they won't be as chatty with the next baby that comes along? I mean, really, how do they measure verbal communication in an 8 month old. Aren't all babies supposed to grow and learn at their own rate? Brandon would have completely failed the test not only at 8 months, but also at 16 months since he was 2 before he started talking anyway.
By the way, he DID NOT watch the videos.
(Fast forward a couple of years, Brandon's now 4 and we can't get him to STOP talking. Go figure.)

3 comments:
Yeah, I heard that stuff too... my kids don't watch them (they prefer Dora... ha ha!)... but here's my thing: I know I watched TV and I turned out just fine, did fine in school, etc. And you're totally right, all kids talk at different ages, so what's testing them at 8 months about? That could yeild less than scientific results. I think it's what you do with the other time that counts. You can't count on TV to teach ABC's, etc. but you can sure teach that to them yourself with very little effort...
I heard the same report--and Andrew DOES watch some Baby Einstein (but only the ones that prominently feature animals; for a little while this was the only TV that would hold his attention, so it was a lifesaver while I tried to pack our apartment and Dan finished his dissertation . . .). But I figure that between the two of us, we *might* be able to teach him a few words. (What good is my soon-to-be PhD in English if I can't at least teach my kid some big words?) And he already knows more than is good for him, including, for some reason, "naked" . . .
I heard the same report--and Andrew DOES watch some Baby Einstein (but only the ones that prominently feature animals; for a little while this was the only TV that would hold his attention, so it was a lifesaver while I tried to pack our apartment and Dan finished his dissertation . . .). But I figure that between the two of us, we *might* be able to teach him a few words. (What good is my soon-to-be PhD in English if I can't at least teach my kid some big words?) And he already knows more than is good for him, including, for some reason, "naked" . . .
Post a Comment