Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Spring Break '09: Day 3

We've been looking forward to this day since we planned the 2009 budget: Museum of Science and Industry Day. And nobody's more excited than me. I managed to schedule a little time off work (a very rare event for sure). It was 9:15 am, and we were just finishing up packing the daypack.

Just one problem.

"Dad? My ear hurts..."

Oooo. This was coming from the kid who gets ear infections, and gets 'em real bad. And fast and furious too. He's been known to mention that his ear "kinda hurts" at bedtime, and by 12:30am he's screaming in pain until it ruptures a few painstaking hours later (poor kid!). So we had to take this threat to MSI day seriously.

Lucky us, we got a late-breaking appointment with the doctor (a REAL doctor; not one of these PhD hacks), and by 10:15 am, Brandon was diagnosed with what is technically referred to as "an eardrum filled with pus that is actually bulging a little bit." Ouch. Good call taking him to the doctor, then, eh? After picking up a bottle of orange-flavored amoxicillin, and a little bit of Tylenol, we decided to push forward with our original - and now 2-hour-delayed - plans. The upshot is that Brandon was already feeling a little better.

The museum was interesting, educational, and fun, just like real museums should be. They have a scale model of Chicago with electric trains running through the mountains to a scale model of Seattle. The waterworks at the hands-on "Idea Factory / Imagination Station" was a lot of fun. And in the "Whispering Gallery", Kelsie and I told secrets to each other even though we were standing 100 feet apart. We watched an old movie, the kind they made before "talkies". Some robots drew pictures for us too. We also learned lots of fun facts too: Did you know that cows eat 30 pounds of food and drink 20 gallons of water every day, which makes them produce 13 gallons of manure everyday?! Gross, I know. But sometimes, those are the facts that stick in yer head.

We had a great time, and best of all we wore everyone out. I don't think anyone is going to be waking up tonight.

At least we hope not.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so grateful for all of the wonderful hands on museums. It looks like you had so much fun!

Kenna said...

How fun! I want to go (as always!)

Kacie said...

Nathan will be jealous when I show him these pictures! I'm glad you had fun!