Ironically enough, Wally and I have been "published" one way or another in every state we have lived in. And I'm not talking about all of Wally's publications for his research in chemistry. Or all my blog publications, does that even count?
It all began when we went to the hospital to have Kelsie. She was born on Father's Day weekend and the paper wanted to do a story about a new dad. I thought it was funny because Kelsie was born in Utah, which to my knowledge, does not have a shortage of "new father's" year round. We just happened to walk in at the right time and were chosen as the couple. The reporter interviewed Wally all about being a new dad and what his expectations were. After a series of questions and pictures taken (while I was in labor, I'd like to add), Sunday morning, Father's Day, Wally's face was on the front page of the Daily Herald with me in the background during a contraction. I don't think we saw it until after my mom, who was driving from CA, called to tell us she saw Wally's picture in the newsstand at the gas station she stopped at and bought all the papers that were left. So, here's Wally in all his glory (doesn't he look young?):

Our next publication was in State College, PA when we participated in the annual Kid's Bike Parade for the 4th of July. This happened to be our last summer there before we moved to Washington and we had been part of the parade for the last 5 years. The photographer must have been impressed with Brandon's (2 almost 3) biking skills and got a picture of him riding with me in the background, again, scooting along behind him.
Our most recent publication was in Richland, WA were we lived before we moved to Chicago. Last spring our family participated in a family bike race put on by the parks and recreation department. Wally and the kids rode 4 miles up the Columbia River and completed tasks along the way. (Caleb was only 2 months old at the time, so I walked the first part and met them at the end.) They earned enough points from the tasks they completed that we ended up winning the whole race (based on points, not who crossed the finish line first). They took our picture and put it in their spring catalog, advertising this year's race. This time we all made it in the picture, even Caleb where you can barely see his little head poking out from the baby bjorn.
3 publications in 3 states without even trying. We must just be the kind of people that attract the media's attention. At least it's fun to think that! We'll see if our publishing streak continues while we're living in Illinois. Once I know, you'll know.

4 comments:
that first picture is so great!! I can't believe they took a picture of you guys WHILE you were in labor...
That's because you guys have such a cute family and are so friendly. Thanks for sharing. That's pretty neat.
That's so cool!
I had to laugh about you in labor in the background! You don't look so chipper :)
Post a Comment