Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Friendly Faces

We have met so many friendly people here in Chicago, but there is one man that I see everyday that always puts a smile on my face. He is an older gentleman who serves the local elementary school as their crossing guard. He always makes sure that the drivers follow all the traffic rules and lets them know if they're not (he's not afraid to yell if need be). He also makes sure that all the kids cross the street to and from school safely and welcomes everyone with a warm hello on these cold days.

Since we have had nothing but snow and ice for the last coupe of months, I carry Caleb on my back when we walk to school and have Kelsie and Brandon on either side of me. I use them to hep me balance across the sheets of ice that cover the sidewalks and if I do happen to slip, I do it as gracefully as I can and hope one of the kids goes down with me so I can blame it on them. This must have impressed our crossing guard friend because he has nicknamed me Super Mom. Every time I see him (which is usually twice a day) he always has a huge smile and says to me in his Chicago accent, "Hello there Super Mom! How are you today? Be careful on that ice now, it's pretty slick today. I don't know how you mom's do it. You're just great. Alright now, you have a good day!"

The other day, after dropping Kelsie off at school, we were crossing the street with our friend when he pulled out a Dunkin' Donuts gift card and handed it to me. "Because you mom's are just great, especially you Super Mom!" he said. I was totally caught off guard, but luckily kept my balance! That simple act of kindness made me forget how cold it was outside and how grateful I am for friendly crossing guards!

6 comments:

Whitney said...

What a nice man - and a great story. You are a Super Mom for treking through that snow every day. Really, I don't know how you do it! It looks WAY too cold for me :)

Alisa said...

Man, it looks cold there! That's a really cute picture of you and Caleb. And I agree with Whitney, you are a Super Mom!

Shayne said...

That's so sweet! What a nice old man! I'm impressed that you still walk her to school in that weather!

Kacie said...

Go Super Mom! What a cute old man! I hope it starts warming up soon for you!

Jennica said...

How refreshing it is to hear that there really are people like that. I absolutely love that you'd try and pull your beautiful children down with you if you were ever to fall, I laughed out loud at that tid bit. Happy snow trekking Super Mom!

Kenna said...

I just LOVE people like that! Yay for him! I think he needs a special treat just for being so nice all of the time (in such horrid weather conditions, too. I mean, really!) I'm glad you were recognized for your super powers! You totally deserve it!